Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude
What do you understand by ‘Ethical Human Conduct’? In what way is it important to be ethical along with being professionally competent?
What do you understand by the following terms? Point out their specific relevance in public service:
- (i) Intellectual integrity
- (ii) Empathy
- (iii) Perseverance
- (iv) Spirit of service
- (v) Commitment
Indicate two more attributes which you consider very important for public servants. Justify your answer.
Which great Indian personality has inspired you the most as a role model and how have you been able to benefit in your own life by such an inspiration?
Question 4 (Case Study)
You have been working with your team for almost a year. One of your subordinates Mr. A is very effective and hard working, he takes responsibility and gets things done. However, you have heard that Mr. A makes loose comments about women. Mrs X who is working under A, comes to you, she is visibly disturbed. She tells you that Mr. A has been making undue advances towards her and has even asked her to go out for dinner with him. She wants to give a written complaint seeking action against Mr. A. what would you do and why?
Question 5 (Case Study)
You have grown up with X, who has been your best friend since childhood. You have shared your joys and sorrows and have been each other`s confidante. Both of you are in your final year graduation and writing your final exams. In the exam you notice that your friend is copying and cheating a lot. What would you do and why?
Question 6 (Case Study)
You are posted as the Medical Superintendant of a District level Govt. Hospital which caters to the need of poor patients from surrounding rural areas along with the local people from the district town. As such the hospital has very good infrastructure and adequate equipment to cater to this need. It also receives sufficient funds to meet the recurring expenditure. Inspite of this there have been repeated complaints particularly from the patients which include the following
- (i) Very poor maintenance and unhygienic conditions in hospital premises.
- (ii) The hospital staff frequently demanding bribes from the patients for the services rendered.
- (iii) The negligent attitude of the Doctors resulting in times of casualties.
- (iv) Siphoning of a substantial stock of medicine by the staff and selling it out.
- (v) Strong nexus between the senior Doctors of the hospital and the owners of local private nursing homes and testing labs as a result of which the patients are strongly misled and dissuaded from availing the hospital facilities and rather compelled to purchase costly medicines from market and get medical tests and even operations done from private medical houses.
- (vi) There also exist a notorious employee union which puts undue pressure and resents any reformative step by the administration.
Ponder over the situation and suggest effective ways to tackle each of the above mentioned problem.