Each of the following sentences has a blank space and four words are given after the sentence. Select the most appropriate word for the blank space.
1. The completion of the railway line has been held ________ owing to the workers’ strike.
2. The pilot was ________ injured, he died within half an hour.
3. His ________ directions misled us, we did not know which road to take.
4. He was very friendly with the press and it really __________ him even for what he did not achieve.
5. Anand was the sort of person who always looked on the _________ side of life.
6. “How dare you speak to me like that, you ________ fellow!” shouted the officer.
7. I refused to ___________ his rudeness any longer.
8. Let us __________ our heads together to solve this difficult problem.